Dissertation proofreading service:
What I can do as a proofreader:
Unless not permitted in your institution,* I can:
- Identify and correct the following types of error:
- missing / incorrect articles (a / an and the)
- missing / incorrect prepositions (for example, in, to, at)
- missing / incorrect pronouns (for example, he/she)
- spelling mistakes
- incorrect capitalisation
- incorrect punctuation
- incorrect verb tense;
- Highlight a sentence or passage that is overly complex or where the intended meaning is not clear;
- Point to formatting errors;
- Flag errors in labelling diagrams or figures;
- Check for consistency in referencing;
- Check that all entries in the reference list / bibliography are in order and consistent with your dissertation guidelines (and highlight any errors or omissions);
- Raise any queries in yellow (in the text) and in comment boxes (with Track changes);
- Send a progress report every couple of chapters, so you can see how the work is progressing, and in case I have any urgent questions.
What I CANNOT do as a proofreader:
- Translate the work into English or any other language;
- Rewrite passages in order to clarify meaning;
- Change the text of the work so as to develop the ideas and arguments;
- Change the ideas and arguments put forward within the work;
- Reduce or increase the length of the work so that it falls within the specified word limit;
- Contribute additional material to the original;
- Correct information within the work;
- Rewrite sections where argumentation or logic is faulty;
- Entail any intervention that would substantially change the content of a piece of work;
- Change the words or figures or notation (except to identify the correct spelling or verb tense of the word used);
- Rearrange passages of text, sequence of code or section of other material;
- Reformat the material;
- Check calculations or formulae;
- Re-label figures or diagrams;
- Correct faulty references or compile reference lists / bibliographies.
* Before working with you, I will ask you to provide written confirmation from your institution that you are permitted to use the services of a professional proofreader.
Dissertation proofreading service — general:
- If you wish to have a dissertation proofread, please send me a sample page of your work, which I will return to you corrected, free of charge. This will give you an idea of what my work entails, and allow you to judge whether or not you wish to go ahead with my service.
- Once you are happy to proceed with my proofreading service, and we have agreed a date, I will ask you for a deposit of 10% of the total estimated cost of the work and send you a detailed client-editor agreement form to be signed by both parties. The deposit will secure your booking and is non-refundable if you cancel with less than a week's notice.
- Once I have received your document and your dissertation guidelines, I will begin work on it, making any changes on screen by means of Track changes.
- Depending on the length of the job, I will give you regular updates by email (usually every 1-2 chapters) so that you are kept up to date on my progress, and in case I need to ask any urgent questions.
- On completion of the work, I will send you two versions of your document: one with all the Track changes visible, so you can see all my editing, and the other being the final corrected version, with all the changes accepted. This will give you the option to accept or reject any or all of the proposed modifications. Please read the disclaimer at the bottom of this page.